Annually, members of our Jia Alumnae, Graduate and Professional Queendoms must maintain a satisfactory G.P.A. (where applicable), uphold all fiscal responsibilities, advise undergraduate members and perform all programming and community service requirements as set forth by the the national board of MKU Sorority, Inc. Additionally, Jia Queens are charged with expanding MKU’s Queendoms, representing the sisterhood nationally and internationally and expanding MKU’s youth initiative Sisters In Sankofa, (S.I.S.) Club, all while upholding all of the principles, objectives and goals of MKU.
Active members are eligible to participate in personal/professional development programs, conferences, sisterhood retreats and other national initiatives.
Alumnae, Graduate and Professional Applicant Requirements
Alumnae/Graduate/Professional: Must be enrolled at least half-time in a graduate program OR demonstrate proof of anticipated enrollment at least half-time in a graduate program that awards Masters or Doctorate level degrees at an accredited university OR currently have an undergraduate degree AND a MINIMUM of 5 years work experience in a chosen field. Students in vocational and trade schools may not apply for membership. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven service & participation record in college/university and/or community based organizations/initiatives. The applicant must be able to demonstrate a proven service and participation record
- A minumum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale) substantiated by proof of transcript where applicable
- A minimum semester grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or 3.0 on a 5.0 scale) in the semester immediately prior to submitting an application for membership substantiated by proof of transcript where applicable
Professional Applicants Without an Academic (Baccalaureate) Degree: must be 25 years of age substantiated by proof of official documentation. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Membership in at least one (1) community and/or professional organization. Documentation of membership (i.e. Welcome letter, membership card, membership list, etc.) is required. Please note that proof of membership in a religious institution/community is acceptable for this requirement.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to the Afrikan/Latino community through a minimum of ten (10) community service hours completed relative to MKU’s programmatic foci and/or official philanthropies. The community service must be completed in the six month period prior to submitting an application for membership. Proof of community service must be submitted with the application.
- Must currently or previously demonstrate leadership and/or entrepreneurship in the public or private sector for a minimum of five (5) years prior to submitting an application for membership substantiated by a resume and submission of professional references. Please note that proof of ownership of a home-based business is sufficient as proof of entrepreneurship.
Membership in Malika Kambe Umfazi Sorority, Inc. is a LIFETIME commitment. When seeking information about a sorority, an interested woman should consider the following questions:
Am I comfortable with the information I am receiving?
Does the organization demonstrate a commitment to its objectives?
Do the values of the organization mirror my own?
Am I a leader prepared to work with and for others?
All women seeking membership must attend an Interest Meeting and scheduled preliminaries as set forth by M.K.U. Sorority, Inc. Candidacy for membership is contingent on approval of the required materials submitted by the applicant and the satisfactory completion of an application and interview conducted by members of Malika Kambe Umfazi Sorority, Inc. All prospective members will be required to successfully complete a minimum six weeks and four days educational process. Full membership is extended by invitation only.
Current members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO), National Multicultural Greek Council (NMGC) and local sororities are not eligible for membership. Persons holding membership in honorary, academic or professional societies are eligible for membership.
Malika Kambe Umfazi Sorority, Inc. upholds a standard of no arbitrary exclusion from membership based on race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Malika Kambe Umfazi Sorority, Inc. does not sanction any activity that constitutes hazing. Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created intentionally to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. This includes but is not limited to:
The creation of excessive fatigue
Exerting physical and psychological shock
Engaging in physical contact that results in physical or mental injury
Requiring engagement in public acts of buffoonery
Requiring engagement in morally degrading or humiliating activities
Requiring participation in vulgar, abusive or dangerous activities
Requiring participation in acitivies that abridge or disrupt a person's religious or dietary beliefs
For More Information About Membership in MKU Sorority, Inc. Please Visit Our Expansion Section or Email Nationals at CNB@malikakambeumfazi.org